Monday, May 12, 2014

Sewing for Mr. Black

I sew stuff. A lot of stuff for the kids and for me.
Now it was time for Mr. Black stuff.
His birthday!
Because I never sewed one piece for him I decided to make a shirt.
Have you ever tried to find menswear patterns?
OMG!
It took me a loooooooooong time to find a good one...

I chose the Strathcona Henley from Thread Theory. A new menswear pattern line based in Canada.
Hopefully a safe piece!
(And I love sewing Indie patterns.)
Hmmm, but what about the sizes?
My Mr. Black is doing a lot of computer work, not cutting down trees...
So I used one of his well fitting Ts as a template and combined it with the pattern (size xs with 5/8" seam allowance).

I found a nice a stable knit in his favorite colour (yes, Mr. Black!!) and I sewed this up on my serger.
Because it was intended as a gift, not had the opportunity to let him try it on.
It was clear that it would perhaps be just a muslin.
So I decided to sew variation 2 without the placket.

He loves the colour and is has a slim fit to his liking. But I think next time I'll cut off the sleeves.




The fit of the shoulder is not perfect, but.....
look at the topstitching!
I just like the way it looks!
The bad taste in my mouth is the floppy look of the neckline in the back. Hmmmm, it looked good under my mashine... But the truth is, it's not flat.
That's life! A muslin (or PJ ;)

He was happy anyway!
Sew on!!!!
B

1 comment: